** Note that easy additions can be changed to what you have at home.
Other tips to make food last:
- Simplify meals by basing them on 1/2 plate vegetables and fruit, 1/4 plate protein and 1/4 plate whole grains.
- Freeze leftovers in individual portions for a simple weekday meal.
- Older produce can be used to make soups, stews, casseroles and stocks.
- Buy canned, frozen and dried food if possible.
- Large tubs of yogurt are often cheaper but may be hard to finish before the best before date. Try freezing yogurt in ice cube trays and adding it to smoothies.
- Grated cheese can be kept in the freezer to be added to pizzas, omelettes, pasta and casseroles.
Freeze leftovers in individual portions for a simple weekday meal.
- Also consider other foods that can be portioned and frozen to use later such as beans, bread, crushed tomatoes and sauces.
Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about your diet and how to fit more nutrition into your life.